ARC REVIEW: #FollowMe for Murder by Sarah E. Burr

Book Review


Rating: ⭐⭐⭐
Spice: There really isn't any
Tropes: Social media influencer, murder mystery
Series: Trending Topic Mysteries #1 

*Check triggers before reading*

This one hurts because I was excited for this and found the story intriguing. For me, it fell flat and I really only kept reading because I was expecting it to pick up.

The biggest issue for me was there was way too much focus on the social media/PR/branding side of things. It almost felt like in fantasy novels when there is so much world building and not a lot of story growth. I get that the social media information was important, but there was a lot that was unnecessary to the story.

The murder itself intrigued me, but I figured out who it was pretty much from the jump. Now that's probably because I've watched a lot of Law and Order: SVU so I figured out who did it before you truly find out in the story. I did like the different potential killers, but I wish those had been explored more to really trip up the reader on who did it.

I actually enjoyed Coco. She easily could've been a stereotypical influencer, but she wasn't. I liked seeing how she handled the murder, her clients, and her personal life.

You know who I didn't like? Hudson. I wanted to like him, but I found him boring. I know he cared about her, but the lack of commitment with his apartment and marriage annoyed me for some reason. Personally, I was hoping something would happen with Gavin.

Overall, I don't think it's a bad story, it just didn't hit home for me like I wanted it to. I enjoyed it for what it was and it had a good premise. I think balancing out the story better could benefit this book. I do think it's enjoyable for folks looking for an easy read. Besides the murder, there aren't a lot of triggers and the characters are fun to read about. I could see myself recommending this to people.

Book Information

Release date: February 15th, 2022

Description:
*The description comes directly from Amazon's website*

Murder is about to go viral for social media influencer Coco Cline.

After selling a tech startup to Facebook in a multi-million-dollar deal, blogger Coco Cline has returned to her hometown of Central Shores, Delaware to launch her own social media consulting firm. Her new clients, Sean and Olivia Chen, are ten days away from the grand opening of their specialty consignment shop when Coco stumbles across their assistant Stacy dead behind the register.

Worried that a cloud of suspicion will ruin their chances of a successful business launch, the Chens ask Coco to work alongside the inexperienced Central Shores police to speed up the investigation. Using her celebrity status and social media savviness, Coco realizes Stacy’s seemingly ordinary life was all an act. Following a trail of cryptic online posts, confusing timelines, and muddied gossip, Coco and her friends discover Stacy’s questionable relationships just might be the reason for her untimely demise.

#FollowMe for Murder, first in the Trending Topic Mysteries, shines the digital spotlight on murder.

Where to find it:

Where to review it
Follow Eve Lane

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Your Dad Will Do by Katee Robert

REVIEW: Misadventures with a Rookie by Toni Aleo

ARC REVIEW: Give Me More by Sara Cate